Monday, June 1, 2009

My 24th Birthday and the Weekend that followed!

Ahmed used to say, "Expect Everything!" Now, don't get lost in translation to what this Palestenian-Jordanian meant. He meant, "Don't Expect Anything!"

I made that mistake this year. Someone had made my Birthday so special and beautiful last year, that this year I just took it for granted that it could only get better. But, I was so wrong. 

In many ways, it was sort of better. Well, I don't want to take anything away from my sweet friends. People whom I had never expected to be around were around, whom I had never expected a call from, called.

So, in some ways, Ahmed's theory worked. But I had a nagging feeling all day. For some reason, I wanted my life to just rewind one year. For some reason, I wanted it to be 29th May, 2008. (Well, may be because that would also make me a year younger!!! :D)

It was a Friday this year. And, it was an ideal Birthday. I was partying till 3 am. All of those who mattered were either around, or had called. But why was I waiting for that one Call, or that one SMS? I would never know. I'm sorry, Ahmed. Despite your repeated warnings, somewhere deep down, I am still expecting. May be a little too much. May be a little too unreasonable. But the heart wants what it wants, they say. And I made it happen for me. I forced that SMS to reach my Inbox. Did that make me happy? Surprisingly, no. I made that Call reach my Mobile. Did that make me ecstatic? Nope. I walked those extra steps to reach out. Did it make my Birthday perfect? No.

The weekend followed. I had decided to dedicate it to my Family. I took a trip to Pune, with my cousin, who by the way, does have a perfect life. (Although, I am really happy for him and terribly proud, I am sort of jealous. Ok, I am a horrible person. If you still haven't guessed that already, that is.) I was at home with my Granny, Aunt and Cousin. And felt really Blissful!!

And Sir Joe Pinto thinks I write well, and that I should write more often. So I am writing.

I just want to repeat, that I had a great Birthday! And I love you all. You all are the best! Thanks for being there for me; All my Friends and Family! I am really really Lucky to have you all around. 

And I am also really Thankful for that One SMS and that One Call, I had been waiting for. That One Beer that gave me the Best High!

Thank You One, Thank You All!

So Long, Amigos!


1 comment:

Joe Pinto said...

My dear Archana,

Thank you for writing. As you write; read what your write; criticise yourself; learn; and slow but steady your writing starts to get better.

The real reason deep down in your mind is that the above process makes your thinking get clearer so that you stop thinking vaguely and start to describe your feelings precisely.

However, from your post I cannot guess at "the one sms" or "the one call". Stop expecting any calls from the past. What has ended, should be forgotten.

I will call you when I can. Twenty-four is a great age when you look forward. Nothing, nothing ever, should make you look back when you're 24.

Peace and love,
- Joe.